01 Jan Five Benefits of Completing an Internship – Jan 13
By Stephanie Tanubrata
Internships are where higher education meets employment; they allow students to gain experience working in an organization while studying at university. The Good Universities Guide has put together five reasons why you should put some serious thought into completing an internship.
1) You can make industry contacts
It has been said many times: ‘it’s not about what you know; it’s about who you know’. Having a good set of industry contacts behind you can be just as vital in helping you find and secure a job after you graduate. Internships are an excellent way to branch out from your university course into the industry in which you are studying and expand your list of contacts.
2) They look good on your résumé
The graduate job market is incredibly competitive, so having a full résumé that includes actual industry experience is sure to be a valuable asset. It has the potential to make you stand out from the competition. Having a number of internship experiences will show that you are keen to gain employment in the industry and will also indicate to employers that you have the right skills and enough experience to take on a permanent paid position.
3) You can convert your academic knowledge into industry skills
You might actually be surprised with the amount of responsibility that you are entrusted with. Interns are often given specific individual tasks and responsibilities, as well as being designated roles within a team working on a project. For many students university can be quite theoretical and an internship is their first opportunity to apply their knowledge to the real world.
4) The experience will narrow down your list of potential careers
Internships really are a win-win situation. They can help you decide if a particular career or area is or isn’t for you. If you don’t enjoy your internship experience then, at the very least, it will have helped you to determine that a particular area isn’t for you. Every experience helps you to define and redirect your career path.
5) You can gain an unforgettable life experience
While the career you end up working in may be a bit more down-to-earth, internships allow you to explore all the possibilities and come away with an experience that you will never forget. An internship could allow you to take a look into professions and organizations that you’ve only ever dreamed of. You may even opt to look beyond your local city, and complete an intensive internship over university holidays at an organization interstate or overseas.
3 Main Statements:
- Internships are an excellent way to branch out from your university course into the industry
- For many students university can be quite theoretical and an internship is their first opportunity to apply their knowledge to the real world.
- An internship could allow you to take a look into professions and organizations that you’ve only ever dreamed of.